All HHW members get FREE unlimited transportation to:
- Doctor visits
- Dental visits
- Vision visits
- Pharmacy after a provider visit
- WIC appointments
- Medicaid enrollment visits
- MHS special events
CHIP members only have coverage for emergency ambulance rides to the hospital. Call 911 directly for emergency transportation.
You can reach MHS' transportation vendor through MHS Member Services at 1-877-647-4848 (TTY: 1-800-743-3333). After you are directed to the member prompt, say “transportation.” You can speak to a live transportation representative between 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. Transportation is scheduled through a message system after hours and on weekends. All messages are returned within one day.
Please call to schedule your ride three business days (72 hours) before your scheduled medical visit. Schedule your doctor appointment before you call to get a ride. MHS may call your doctor’s office to verify the doctor visit.
Here is some other information you may need to know about transportation:
- You may have up to a two-hour wait time for your ride to pick you up before your scheduled visit.
- If you need transportation due to an urgent care need, be aware it could take longer to arrive since this is not a pre-scheduled pickup. Call immediately to set up your ride.
- If you have a life-threatening emergency, call 911 or your local emergency number.
- Children under age 16 must always ride with an adult age 18 years or older.
You may take one other person along with you. Any additional riders must be approved in advance. Transportation will try to work with your situation if you request additional riders. Transportation may refuse to transport any persons who were not approved to ride in advance.
- You or your child’s Medicaid card
- Your address and phone number
- The date and time of the appointment
- Name, address and phone number of the office or clinic
- Number of persons who will be riding (patient and parent or guardian only)
- Whether you will need a wheelchair-accessible van
- Whether you will need assistance to and from the door
- Whether you will need a car seat(s). If you do not have a car seat, one can be provided for you. Transportation will refuse to transport any child without the proper safety seat.
- It may take from 15 minutes to two hours for a car to arrive after you call
- Transportation can take you to a pharmacy on the way home from a doctor visit
- Please be ready when your ride arrives
- Transportation will pick you up at the same place they dropped you off. They cannot pick up multiple family members at different locations.
For information on gas mileage reimbursement or bus passes, please contact MHS Member Services.