Tobacco Cessation Resources
MHS Providers are encouraged to talk to patients about going tobacco-free. Get the conversation going with two questions: “Do you smoke?”, and “Would you like to quit?”
Your Tobacco Cessation Tool Kit
- Indiana Quitline Preferred Provider Enrollment Form (PDF)
- Indiana State Department of Health: Indiana Tobacco Prevention and Cessation
Quitline Fax Referral Forms
- BabyandMeTobaccoFree.org - Refer your members to this site to get incentives to quit.
- Indiana Tobacco Quitline - Refer your members to this site and they can earn up to $145 per year in My Health Pays rewards.
- Vape-Free Indiana - Indiana's approach to addressing the youth vaping epidemic.
MHS covers tobacco cessation counseling when billed with CPT code 99407 and modifier U6 with a primary diagnosis code of 305.1. Modifier U6 denotes each 15 minutes of tobacco cessation counseling. For each total 15 minutes of cessation counseling, an additional unit may be included on the service line. Even brief counseling is effective in facilitating a patient’s attempts to quit using tobacco.
Prescription cessation aids are covered by the Medicaid program. Providers are encouraged to refer patients age 18 and over to the Indiana Tobacco Quitline, 1-800-QUIT-NOW. The Quitline offers education and coaching over the telephone. The services offered by the Quitline are confidential and provided free of charge to Indiana residents. The Quitline staff will fax a report to your office to tell you that the client was enrolled in services. Please ask patients if they smoke or use tobacco products at each visit, and if they do, advise them to quit immediately