Tobacco Cessation Resources
MHS Providers are encouraged to talk to patients about going tobacco-free. Get the conversation going with two questions: “Do you smoke?”, and “Would you like to quit?”
Your Tobacco Cessation Tool Kit
- Indiana Quitline Preferred Provider Enrollment Form (PDF)
- Indiana State Department of Health: Indiana Tobacco Prevention and Cessation
Quitline Fax Referral Forms
- MHS Youth (PDF)
- MHS Prenatal (PDF)
- MHS Adult (PDF)
- MHS Member (not-age specific) (PDF)
- MHS Member (not-age specific) for DentaQuest Providers (PDF)
- BabyandMeTobaccoFree.org - Refer your members to this site to get incentives to quit.
- Promoting Smokefree Pregnancy Toolkit (PDF) - This resource, designed for direct service providers and community partners, is the culmination of extensive research about what works to reduce prenatal tobacco smoke exposure. It includes practical ideas that can be implemented in a number of settings by professionals in many different roles.
MHS covers tobacco cessation counseling when billed with CPT code 99407 and modifier U6 with a primary diagnosis code of 305.1. Modifier U6 denotes each 15 minutes of tobacco cessation counseling. For each total 15 minutes of cessation counseling, an additional unit may be included on the service line. Even brief counseling is effective in facilitating a patient’s attempts to quit using tobacco.
Prescription cessation aids are covered by the Medicaid program. Providers are encouraged to refer patients age 18 and over to the Indiana Tobacco Quitline, 1-800-QUIT-NOW. The Quitline offers education and coaching over the telephone. The services offered by the Quitline are confidential and provided free of charge to Indiana residents. The Quitline staff will fax a report to your office to tell you that the client was enrolled in services. Please ask patients if they smoke or use tobacco products at each visit, and if they do, advise them to quit immediately